Team Great Britain In-line Hockey

Great Britain - Japan
Tuesday 29th June 2010

Final Score GB 5 - Japan 2

Japan presented a much tougher challenge for the Great Britain team, Great Britain's first goal came again on the powerplay. Japan managed to get two penalties in one shift which meant that Great Britain had a 3 minute powerplay, however before the first penalty had expired Japan were called for another penalty, Great Britain's Remi Moses scored during the second of the penalties with a well worked goal that totally pulled the Japanese team apart. Great Britain went into the half time break with 1-0 lead.

Great Britain got into penalty trouble themselves coming out late for the second half and were penalised with a delay of game penalty, Japan took this powerplay opportunity and tied up the scored 1-1.

At 31:13 Matt Viney and Jon Nash combined for a goal which had some great on the stick passes and fantastic skating. Shortly after Japan again tied the game up at 2-2 the score remained level going into the final period.

At 37:54 Nathan Finney scored what was to become Great Britain's game winning goal ably assisted by Danny Hutchinson. At 42:21 Phil Hamer got himself on the game sheet with a unassisted goal. Great Britain decided to burn off the final minutes of the game by keeping tight control of the puck when there was a stoppage of play in Britain's end Japan decided to pull their netminder for the extra attacker Great Britain got control of the puck moved it up court the empty net goal was scored by Kurt Waller from just over half way line the assist for this goal should have gone to Alex Pearman who did all the initial hard work to get possession and passed it across court to Waller.

This was a frustrating game for Great Britain who did not play to their full potential, coach Nick Crawley said “we need to work on a few of our systems to make sure we can execute them without thinking, today at times we simply did not get it right all the time, all the players know we can play better”.